After installing the latest upgrade for Mac OS X, the Lion, I couldn’t login to my user account on my Macbook Pro! There was no way to log into my user. I tried to login with “root” and the root account was not available.
Basically, all users disappear after install of Mac OS X Lion or upgrade to Lion (10.7), and you can’t login to your system.
After a little research, here is what worked for me:
Before giving you the solution, you should know that the first thing to do, is to call Apple’s customer service, and I take no responsibility for what ever might happen if you follow these instructions. They worked for my case, use at your own risk.
Solution for Mac OS X Lion Login Error (Users disappear after upgrade to Lion):
Step 0 : Don’t panic, your files are not gone !
Step 1: Reset ROOT Password for Mac OS X Lion:
- Restart your Mac,
- Hold “Command+R” buttons just the moment your Mac starts up,
- Hold still…
- A window should appear, it says “Utilities…”
- From the tools menu, at the top, open “Terminal”
- Type “resetpassword” and hit enter
- A new window opens, select the System Administrator account (root) option
- Set a new password, easy to remember for you,
- Confirm and close all the windows,
- A question will appear as would you like to restart?
Step 2: Login as ROOT on Mac OS X Lion:
- Let the Mac startup,
- At login screen, type the user name as “root” and put in the password you’ve chosen in step 1.8 above.
- Wait a while…
- You should be logged in with the “root” account to your Mac OS X Lion.
Step 3: Re-create your user (Reincarnation!)
- Right click on the “Finder” icon in the dock, select “Go to folder…”
- Type “/” and click on “GO” to go to your Mac’s hard drive,
- Navigate to the “Users” directory, you should see your own user folder, remember the folder’s name!
- Click the Apple logo on the left top side of the screen, select “System Preferences…”
- Go to “Users and Groups”
- Your user should not exist in the left side list, so click the small “+” button below the users list to add a new one.
- Set your Full name as it was previously (not very important though)
- Set the “Account name” EXACTLY AS THE FOLDER NAME YOU SAW IN STEP3.3 (VERY IMPORTANT)
- Set an easy to remember password for your account,
- And hit “Create User”
- Confirm on “using the Existing folder for Home…”
- Wait….until you see your user appear on the users list…
Step 4: Back on the Road:
- Restart your Mac
- Login to your own account easily and get all your data back!